Pomona King of the Mountain
- When: Sunday 22 July 2018
- Where: Pomona, Noosa hinterland
- Time: 7am-3pm
- Website: www.kingofthemountain.com.au
The annual Pomona King of the Mountain Festival in the Noosa hinterland town of Pomona, is an all-day, fun filled event, culminating with the Bendigo Bank
International Mountain Challenge where competitors run up the face of Mount Cooroora.
The race, which has its origins in a bet in a Pomona pub in 1958, takes 100 runners through the town and up the 438m face of the mountain.
The festival program includes:
- A 3km Family Fun Run
- Heritage Markets
- Primary School Relay
- Tug O War
- Live music on the main stage and buskers
- Amusement rides and side show alley
- Car display
- Food court
- Skate jam
- Bowls tournament
- Antiques and collectibles fair, and more.
The main race is at 2.30pm and is a 4.2km race up the steep, almost vertical face of Mount Cooroora, then back to the town.
Entrants come from around Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Rim and United Kingdom.